Overview of Breast Cancer Surgery
Breast cancer surgery plays a crucial role in the multifaceted treatment of breast cancer, aiming to effectively manage the complexities of this condition. At our dedicated surgery center, our team of skilled surgeons and healthcare professionals is committed to providing personalized and compassionate care throughout the entire surgical journey.
Breast cancer, characterized by the uncontrolled growth of cells in the breast tissue, requires a tailored approach to treatment. Surgery is often recommended as a primary intervention, with the goal of removing cancerous tissue and restoring the patient’s health. This surgical procedure is part of a broader treatment strategy, which may also include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and hormone therapy, depending on the specific characteristics of the cancer.
Why It’s Done
- Tumor Removal: The primary objective is to remove cancerous tumors or abnormal cells from the breast.
- Preventive Measures: In some instances, surgery may be recommended to prevent the spread of cancer to other parts of the body.
- Biopsy: Surgical procedures can also be used to obtain a tissue sample for further examination (biopsy).
How to Prepare for Breast Cancer Surgery
Proper preparation is essential for a successful outcome. Consider the following tips:
- Consultation: Schedule a consultation with our surgical team to discuss the procedure, potential risks, and expected outcomes.
- Medical Evaluation: Complete any required medical evaluations and tests to ensure you are in optimal health for the surgery.
- Preoperative Instructions: Follow any preoperative instructions provided by your surgeon, including fasting and medication guidelines.
What to Expect During Breast Cancer Surgery
Understanding what to expect can alleviate concerns and anxiety. The procedure involves:
- Anesthesia: You will be administered anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable and pain-free during the surgery.
- Tumor Removal: The surgeon will carefully remove the cancerous tissue while preserving as much healthy breast tissue as possible.
- Reconstruction (if applicable): In some cases, reconstructive surgery may be performed to restore the appearance of the breast.
The postoperative period is crucial for a smooth recovery. Follow these guidelines for optimal healing:
- Monitoring: Regularly monitor the surgical site for any signs of infection, excessive swelling, or unusual changes.
- Medication: Take prescribed medications as directed to manage pain and prevent infection.
- Follow-up Appointments: Attend follow-up appointments to ensure proper healing and discuss any concerns with your surgical team.
With multiple surgery centers including those in Riverside, Corona, and San Bernardino we are committed to providing comprehensive support and personalized care throughout your breast cancer surgery journey. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take a positive step towards your recovery.